Tuesday 18 March 2014

Monotype - Submission & Evaluation

MONOTYPE 

Mine and Beth Submission for Monotype-
EVALUATION

For the collaborative brief I worked with Beth Dalzell we chose the D&AD brief - Monotype. We first began designing and gathering information by meeting up brain storming and researching together. Our collateral for the brief was a printed and photographed re-branded publication of The Big Issue along with a proposed website, and digital iPhone mockups. 

When first looking at the brief me and Beth began choosing appropriate typefaces to re-brand our magazine it was later (1 week into the brief) brought to our attention that other people had actually designed a typeface for this brief. When we re-read it does say ' Develop a new typographic system for a local street paper ' we didn't think it was specific enough and we had obviously missed it. We seeked some guidance from a teacher and then decided to design two typefaces as there was two of us in this collaboration. Later that week D&AD emailed out to make sure people knew it was essential you designed a typeface for this brief I am assuming a lot of people had thought the same as us and obviously emailed to ask. Luckily it had only been a week so we began designing our typefaces straight away. 

As we had chosen a brushed typeface and a tall bold typeface for sub headers I began creating the sub header typeface and Beth began experimenting and using a paintbrush to design a typeface. It worked out really well as designing them specific styles of type worked well with our design styles and we are strongest in. Once the typefaces were designed we began experimenting with mockups and layouts.

 We next had to consider how we would actually present our new typographic system and branding for The Big Issue. We decided to try and integrate the printed media with the digital platform but we found this difficult, as we couldn’t take the printed magazine fully off the streets. We considered different approaches for this problem but this was probably the hardest part of the brief. We finally came to the conclusion of using a QR code integrated into the magazine so users would be able to scan the code and receive more of the story’s featured in the magazine. We initially decided to cut the content down quite drastically in a way to make The Big Issue cheaper and more cost effective but if we were to keep it A4 which we had decided we realized we wouldn't save money as the paper size would be the same.

We decided to keep the magazine A4 size we used stories existing from The Big Issue and content off the website. It wasn't the content that was relevant for our design as it was simply to show how we have showcased our work. We named our Big Issue ' Same Big Issue ' this is to represent our new typographic system and branding we felt it had impact and used this on the front page in Beth's Brushed typeface. We didn't use my typeface in the publication in the end I was really pleased with it but we decided as a pair it didn't work with the brushed typeface. The reason the brushed typeface worked so well was because it was friendly and real. We found it worked really well with an image of the standing stone.

To finish off our submission we printed and photographed our Big Issue and used the images on presentation boards to submit. We also mocked up the Web platform that users would be taken to when scanning the QR code on our double page spreads. The reason we branded it the way we did was to give it a more aesthetically pleasing feel and friendlier theme.


Working with Beth for the whole of the brief was enjoyable we both worked together on almost everything we felt this would be the best way to execute the brief to the highest standard. If something wasn’t to work out with a design if we were together we could both decide on the next possible solution to resolve the problem. I’m not sure this was the best idea as I think it would of set me up more for future collaborations when I'm not always going to have the opportunity to be sat next to someone I'm working on a brief with. There were parts of the brief were we did individual mockups but we made all the decisions together I would say the work produced for the brief was completely split. I really enjoyed working well Beth I think she really considered all deliverables and other points I may of missed. A downfall of the brief would be that I didn't really like the brief all that much I think I found this because I didn't have much interest in The Big Issue but I came to realize the brief was about the typographic system and the The Big Issue was just the background. I think I've gained a lot of experience from doing this brief with Beth I've learnt to work at a collaborative pace considering other peoples thoughts and inputs and making quick design decisions. Doing this brief also gave me the ability to work hard at something that didn’t really interest me that much its prepared for the work place because I know I won't be able to always pick my own briefs. I would definitely love to work with Beth again we didn't have any disagreements and I feel we produced a really good submission that was worthwhile and rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment