Sunday 16 March 2014

Designing my publication

DESIGNING MY PUBLICATION

Front cover -

For the front cover of my publication i wanted something really minimal and simplistic to keep with the aesthetics of the publication.






This was my favourite front page out of the ones i experimented with.

The style of the publication will feature a grid appropriate for the design of the double page spread.



QUICK PLANNING - 

For some quick planning i decided i would make a separate document that would have the specific design on and i will paste the design of the original document to the separate one using paste in place that way when i print the designs on tru grain the designs will fit perfectly on the grid.





Contents -


For the contents i wanted to simply list the name of what is going on to the pages with a hashtag and the number.


First double page spread - 


The first page is based on the iPhone grid used to make the icons.



I placed the grid on the right hand side and placed the spirograph on top of the grid fitting onto the circle. The opposite page had a small diagram of how a spirograph works. I researched into the history of spirographs and had that in a singular column on the left hand page on the left hand side.

Final finished page-



REPEAT PATTERNS - 

I Placed the information in the same format in a column down the left hand side on the opposite page to the design.
Using a dashed line a made a grid consisting of 4 by 6 



With this page i had the text on the opposite page just to make the publication have a some variation throughout. As the shapes will be on the tru grain they will still sit on the grid when turned to the right.

Hexagon pattern produced in illustrator-



The pattern fills the grid on the left hand side to show repeat patterns.
Final page-


SYMMETRY-

When researching symmetry i decided to use a diagram i had found online showing the mirroring effect of to shapes reflecting to show the same thing on the opposite side. I decided to draw over it as it would be a perfect example to use in my publication.

Diagram - 




I placed the word symmetry back on its self.


Grid used on the page i placed on the right hand page.

I created a geometric shape that was completely symmetrical and placed it on the opposite page.





Final page - 

When looking at my colour choices and the order i had used them i decided to make this double page spread feature yellow.


BLUE PRINT-

For the blue print page i decided to make a small grid that represented the iPhone grid i drew over the boxes.


I used the next  colour from my colour choices for this page making the blue print grid green.

This specific part of the publication didnt feature tru grain as it was the centre .

I used the same column throughout for the text and placed this next to the text on the left hand side.
I used and image of lines and a circle that had been drawn over an already existing image and used that underneath the text to demonstrate what blue print was.
Final page-


THE GOLDEN SECTION -

For the golden section i found an example of the golden section which had been used over the apple logo.

 I spent a while tracing over the image to achieve the same type of look unfortunately the image was distorted so it took me a little longer than expected.
I managed to achieve the look i wanted this is an example in illustrator:
Final design for the page:
The text appearing on the left hand page:
I placed another example of the golden section underneath the text so it was more clear.
Final page:



FRACTALS - 

This page took me the longest out of them all i found an image of a fractal which was in its simplistic form its called the flower of life. I couldn't get any images which would be large enough so had to begin making the shape using smaller shapes it took a while but i am really pleased with the outcome.


I made a grid which consists of diagonal lines which run through each flower on the document.

Grid & Design-
Fractals page :


Final -



GRIDS-

When researching i came across a set of shapes , i felt they would be perfect for my publication and work well as a set on the grid i had chosen. 


I drew over all five shapes then decided on using four so they would fit in a symmetrical grid.


Grid-


I placed the column of text down the left hand side on the right hand side i placed a image of a penguin book cover grid and changed the outlines to the same colours as the rest of the double page spread.

Grid I designed to feature the geometric shapes.


Final -


DOCUMENT FOR DESIGNS -





I am really pleased with my publication it was slightly challenging to produce but I'm glad it turned out how i wanted it. I think producing the publication at and A4 scale was the best idea as it resembles a maths book.



No comments:

Post a Comment