Friday 17 January 2014

Studio brief 3 - Evaluation

STUDIO BRIEF 3 EVALUATION

For studio brief 3 i decided to chose Mutton Quad one of the ISDT briefs and i decided to create a Mexican Tapas house. This was my favourite out of all three briefs i loved designing for this brief and i was really pleased with my outcomes. I decided to do a Mexican tapas house because i had named my restaurant Apex which means the highest point my restaurant would be really tall and the ceiling would go to a point the logo for my restaurant would just be the letter A and i would add an extra bar in the letter to create a tapas stand. The logo also featured a house symbol as it was called tapas house which also has a point.  I really wanted my concept to link as much as possible. As it was Mexican themed i decided to go down the route of Sugar Skulls and day of the dead.

I linked this with the food i also served at my restaurant 'day of the dead grub' I took numerous books out of the library so i could get a full idea of the Mexican theme. At first i didn't want to use the cliche Mexican colours but my design didn't work until i tried them sometimes trying the cliche and obvious colour is appropriate. I was really happy with my design i struggled a little at first i had a chat with lorraine and she told me that i need to make sure what ever design decisions i make theres a reason behind it you can just have a concept for the sake so this helped me to really link my design decisions together to make a strong concept.

I think i enjoyed creating all the vinyl stickers for my accessories like for the cactus and my tapas bowls. Im most pleased with my wrapping i designed for my burrito or faiths i loved making the branding and applying it across different things such as menus , signage posters ect. I think my strengths throughout this brief would be my ability  to come up with a strong Mexican identity for my restaurant i think you would be able to tell it was Mexican if you weren't to know what it was. This is important because when you design you should be designing for someone who has no idea what it is because if your design doesn't communicate it hasn't worked. Ive learnt a lot from this brief. Especially the depth of research i went into to find the inspiration i think I've learnt to focus on audience and aesthetics to make my work at the highest standard.

A weakness of mine would be trying to create a strong concept. It took me a little longer than expected but I'm really glad i achieved what i did. I personally wish we had had longer on this brief because i would of loved to do more than i did. Another point i would of to work on would be my craft abilities. I mounted all of my work using spray mount to white card i was so worried i was going to mess it up when i should of had a little bit more faith in my self because it turned out fine.

I think designing for a restaurant has definitely improved my skills in packaging design and i really want to get into that more i will apply everything i have learnt in this brief to further briefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment