Friday 10 January 2014

Design for Web - Evaluation

DESIGN FOR WEB EVALUATION

For design for web my concept was to create an album artwork website that featured different genres of album art such as geometric , photo manipulation , packaging and typographic album artwork. Based on my summer project one of my research categories was album art and i found this the most interesting so decided to go with that. My main focus for my summer brief was Leif Podjasky an Australian graphic designer , i was advised to perhaps have a featured page on my website including a artist every month i decided for my website to use Leif Podjasky as i already had all the relevant content and information.

I am really pleased with how my website turned out i found it very difficult to code at the beginning but once i had some practice and made sure i typed code into the relevant places it came together. I was worried at first i didn't have enough content as on each page only has 12 images in total but because I'm doing an album artwork website i was advised in crits that i didn't need anything else. I chose most of my images for my website off designspiration there was a good variety on there. I found especially difficult to find the artists who designed the artwork so it was a little harder getting the content than i thought.

I found coding a website the hardest brief out of all 3 It was more the fact that if i placed something in the wrong container it simply wasn't working. Before i made wireframes and was playing about on dreamweaver i found it difficult to actually make anything and style it. But once i had produced a wireframe/scamps with exact measurements everything was a lot easier. Although i only have a website with a lot of images it took a lot longer than anticipated to design my website. I think a strength of mine throughout this brief would be coming up wireframes and being exact with my design also preparing images/content typefaces and colours before beginning so everything was ready. A weakness of mine would be being impatient and getting annoyed when something didn't work i find coding really tedious and i much rather the design side rather than coding.

I looked at youtube videos and websites to help me throughout this brief I'm impressed with my self that i used a css sprite to upload images the reason i did this was because i had 36 images to upload and to have them all roll over images would of took me a long time so using a sprite helped me cut my photo upload in half this did save me a lot of time.Although i didn't thoroughly enjoy coding it has been and experience and I'm glad i got the chance to learn how to use dreamweaver I'm very pleased with my outcome. I would like the chance to design a different style website in the future i also think its important for me to keep using this programme so i learn more about it and get more comfortable with styling.



No comments:

Post a Comment