Monday 27 January 2014

Responsive - Secret 7 Designing

SECRET 7 DESIGNING

For secret 7 i chose to design for Elbow with my initial sketches done i first began by playing around with a texture and a circle to give the impression of 'the hole in my neighbourhood' spoke about in the song. I made a simple gradient and then i began playing around with layers in photoshop to achieve the best result.





I really liked the effects i was getting but thought i would try other variations so i could develop my idea.
With the theme of alcohol in the song i tried the texture within the cocktail glass shape.


I next began going through my initial sketches to begin more developing i next started designing a sofa simply made up of rounded squares i next tried it inverted so the outline was the only colour.


After some initial mockups i decided to go with my strongest idea i had drawn up and began drawing the bar that is spoke about in the song.

I began by making a crescent shape for the top of the bar. I achieved this by makin a circle and then using the minus front tool to cut the shape in half.

I next drew to parallel lines either side of the semi circle.
I next created arches to represent the arch way.
I began adding the lines to the back and to the front this started making a flat image look more 3d.

To make the gate at the side i simply made large posts gradually going to smaller posts using a ruler and guide to make sure they were even.


I then copied it and flipped it 90 degrees vertical so that i could get the a symmetrical copy of the gate.


I then placed them on both sides of my arch way.

To make the gate at the back i simply used the same technique except i kept all the bars the same instead of ascending.

I placed them all in a line and joined up the lines using the join tool in illustrator. 
I added in black bars with the pen tool in illustrator.
I then made a black shape using the pen tool to create depth so it looked like the hole where you walk down to the bar.
This is my final design.
I next tried to get some variations using the previously made texture and layers in photoshop . Some of the layers didn't work very well and the design become distorted. 
Some where unclear and didnt work well.

I felt although some of the images worked with the one colour backgrounds and became bold.

Overall i decided to keep the design black on the off white background I'm really happy with my final design.


My concept for my design was to capture the meaning behind the song.

The bar ‘The Temple’ which is located in Manchester is sang about in the song…"There's a hole in my neighbourhood of which of late I can not help but fall" this iconic lyric helped me decide the most appropriate design to represent the song Grounds for Divorce.




No comments:

Post a Comment