Tuesday 22 April 2014

Sign up Tutor Crit 22/04

SIGN UP TUTOR CRIT 22/04

Today i had a crit with Lorraine one and one and asked her some questions about the next studio brief and my existing geometry publication. Firstly asking her about studio brief 2 i mentioned how i wanted to have installations with cut out work featured for information and way finding and also advertising.As spoken to Lorraine previously we have agreed everything should be designed with a reason behind it. Lorraine told me about a recent exhibition were people have made up shapes by calculating how good they were at certain modules which has inspired me to find a way i can come up with an icon shape using my content and theme.

Moving on to the next part of the crit i spoke to Lorraine about my publication she said it works well and helped me have a look through and notice where i had certain spaces and things weren't lined up. i explained about where i was using the tru grain and why i used the certain designs i had. I next asked about my binding method because i really wanted to make sure it was going to turn out how i had planned and needed some guidance. 

Lorraine suggested i change my binding method as when i come to the end of the production i probably won't be happy if i use a black spiral bind as it resembles the aesthetics of a dissertation and it doesn't look as professional. We spoke about how math books usually have a stronger stock on the outside and then a different inside and there usually bound with staples or saddle stitch. Although it was suggested i could use a silver spiral bind but it might rip the tru grain so i need to consider these points.



What i will do next-

  • Test both of these binding methods.
  • Look at the strength of tru grain before production.
  • Spell check & get my publication proof read by more than two people.
Studio brief 2
  • Look at more installations & further creative advertising
  • Look at the geometry behind individual shapes to represent my concept.
I am really glad i had this chat with Lorraine i will now consider things i didn't before and she made some really valid points i will take on board. Ive made a small to do list so i can make sure everything i have spoke about today gets implemented throughout my research and my design.

No comments:

Post a Comment