Thursday 3 April 2014

Film Poster - Designs

FILM POSTER - DESIGNS

SKETCHES & INITAL IDEAS

Development

To being with i chose a typeface which was similar to the original typeface on the movie poster i felt although it reflected the film its playful and friendly.

The type is called - ' The Skinny '

I began by simply placing his name and the film and then straight on with my concept.
I had decided to base my whole poster around an RV which is key scene in the film and is used a lot , Jack Nicholson is featured driving around in the RV for most of the film.


I decided to draw around a Rv using the pen tool and then had it coming from the left hand side of the poster.  I decided to use blue because the film is quite heart warming yet sad at the same time so the blue can be taking either way and i also chose it because of the open road/blue skys representing him taking a road trip.


I added clouds to my design to represent the sky and make it light hearted and playful.

I experimented with changing the colour of the text.
First mockup- Although i was really pleased with my first mockup i decided i needed to experiment more and began trying different solutions.
I decided to use an RV that was facing forward so my design could be very flat and minimal.I began tracing over it using the pen tool and i used a light green so i could see my design.
Traced design-
New design using my newly traced RV. 


I Made the larger shapes white and the smaller shapes black as well as the glass in the window.

I added a road to give the illusion of it driving down the high way.
Changed the text to white - 
Second mockup -
I still was unsure so inverted the document so the RV was black instead of white.
Experimenting changing the colours on the road -


I felt my poster was missing something and as it was a film poster i decided to add some titles like who is staring in the film and if it won any awards. I refereed back to the original film poster to find that information.


I added - Best Actor - Jack Nicholson & Best supporting Actress Kathy Bates.


I didn't feel although they were working in the centre underneath the other writing.

I tried them at the top of the poster.
I felt it still didnt look right so i decided to add Nominated for Two Academy awards  so there was three and it was more balanced.
Third Mockup-

Now it was just about getting the writing in the right colours to make sure the poster is balanced.

I was happy with the writing sizes and the colours but i felt you couldn't really see the titles at the top.
Lastly i altered the road to white lines instead.
I then decided it wasn't as clear as it was in black so changed it back.

FINAL MOCKUP- 

I am really happy with my final piece designed for the poster brief i think it represents the film well and is friendly and minimal.




No comments:

Post a Comment