Wednesday 2 April 2014

Penguin Design Award - Submission & Evaluation

SUBMISSION & EVALUATION

SUBMISSION SCREEN SHOTS



EVALUATION

I was really pleased when i found out about the penguin design award brief as i have read many of the puffin and penguin books when i was younger. I had never designed a book cover before but i assumed it would be an easy brief. Before designing i read the book and watched some of the film i took notes and came up with a key concept i would use for my book cover it took me a while to choose what design i would do for my cover.

I think because the brief asks for it to be quite type based i wish i had hand drawn some typography. I decided to use a brush tool to execute the titling as i wanted it to represent the boys in the book ruff and rebellious. I chose to base my design around the burning church in the book i feel like its quite an iconic part of the film and it may make someone want to pick up with cover not knowing what its about. I didn't want to do somthing obvious like a jacket or a knife. I feel like i have a strong concept and I'm pleased with how i executed it.

I found this brief really hard at first simply because i never done a book cover design before and because i felt the brief would be easier than it was it became even harder when i couldn't think of a concept immediately this has taught me not to underestimate a brief even something simple can have its challenges. I am really glad i did the brief as i think i produced a good final resolution apart from the concept i enjoyed this brief and i hope to be able to do this brief again in third year.


















No comments:

Post a Comment