Tuesday 1 April 2014

Penguin Book Cover - Designing

Penguin Book Cover - Designing the Cover

Before i could begin designing anything i thought it would beneficial to read the book and watch the film. I took notes whilst watching the film so i had key points to begin designing for. I decided to create a mind map of small notes of all the big scenes in the film so i would be able to choose the most important to reflect in my book cover.

As the brief highlights to be quite typographic with the cover my first thought was to research appropriate typefaces i could use.





I experimented with lots of different typefaces but i feel as though nothing fitted the style was going for. I began experimenting with different brush strokes to make the titling of my front cover.


Variations-


With an off white colour i experimented putting the title onto the page-
I also used a drop shadow to give the title more of a 3d effect.
Variations-


For my concept i chose to do my design around the church in the film so i began drawing it in illustrator-

I experimented with a brushed effect to the line to work along side the typeface.

Mocked up with the titling at drawing-

Contents on back using same typeface as artists name-

Experimenting with brush strokes to create flames-
experimenting with water-colour brush strokes-


I tried experimenting with colour but felt nothing looked right a part from off white colour.


I tried experimenting with textures i chose a burnt out piece of paper to help represent the flames.


I next changed the background back to the original colour and i decided to take the drawn church off my page it wasnt working. I carried on experiments and drew some flames on to the document.


I next placed the type in front of the flames. I was really happy with this outcome.
Placing author and text on page-
Blurb-
I next thought i would test how my drawn church would look not he back in small.
| added the flames but smaller to the church on the blurb. I also chose to use a yellow puffin logo on book cover.
Final finished Resolution-
FINALS








No comments:

Post a Comment