Thursday 17 April 2014

OUGD503 - Summative Evaluation

OVERVIEW EVALUATION

Overall i think i found responsive module really beneficial it helped to gain work with clients and more of a chance to enter competition briefs and gain more experience working to briefs that i don’t usually design for. I chose to enter two D&AD briefs i was looking forward to entering these but as the projects went on i realized how time consuming and quite stressful they were. Starting with Asos brief as my main brief i was excited to design and produce a resolution for this brief but as i took on more than one concept to distribute my idea i realized it became quite stressful and i was actually trying to manage a lot of work at one time. I researched a lot for this brief to gain appropriate resources and reference i found this was beneficial and its helped me to acquire research quickly and efficiently i will apply these skills to future briefs. 

When designing for the collaborative brief i found it less stressful than Asos brief as there two people complete the work load. It was suggested that we didn’t work with people we usually do. I chose to work with Beth Dalzell and i think the collaboration couldn’t of went better than it did we constantly met up made project targets and notes so we were always on top of the work load. One downfall would be the fact we didn’t fully understand the brief when it required us to actually design a typeface but with us both being efficient and double checking the brief we managed to resolve the issue quickly. I would like to work with Beth again and hopefully excel as a pair when it comes to designing and concept thinking.With the rest of the module i found it really rewarding getting chosen for secret 7 for the second year i a row i feel as though it shows how i have progressed and i can see the difference between my submission last year and this year. I feel proud that i researched and was able to acquire different briefs that were out there. I feel as though i have a wide breadth of different briefs to help me experiment with my design strengths and i certainly found out what my weaknesses were.

I decided to make a lot of blog posts which clearly show where i am at the moment in time and what i have next to do i did this more with monotype. I think its so important to document your work. I am glad a lot of my outcomes had a high standard of outcomes so i will be able to use them on my Online portfolio this will also benefit me as all my briefs differentiate it shows how i can respond to different styles of briefs.

Strengths of mine throughout the module would be that i chose to in depth re-write the briefs out this is so important when working with clients even when doing competition briefs it helps you to take your own take on the brief but still making notes of all the mandatories and considerations so i could achieve the most appropriate and effective outcomes.

The brief i disliked the most was the christening invitation i felt like i couldn’t put my design strengths into the brief as the client wanted something thats not really my style. I am still really pleased i did it as i feel like i am developing as a designer i know when in the industry i won’t be able to design for everything that i want and like and its the clients decisions and which are important as you are designing for them.I did complete 3 branding briefs which I’m pleased about as i wanted to develop my branding skills. Overall i think I’m a good position and prepared more for third year after trying to complete as many briefs as possible in the time available i felt the more experience i got the better it would be. I have enjoyed this module but found it very challenging at the same time.


MODULE EVALUATION

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

Skills I have developed throughout the module would be definitely developing the ability to work really well in a pair I do like group work but sometimes groups have differences I feel Beth and i worked really well in a collaboration this has developed my skills for further collaborations. Another skill would be I have learnt how to make fast quick thinking decisions to create a range of variations for clients. I have developed my branding skills, which I wanted to do, as I’m interested in that creative field. I have learnt how to evaluate my work better this has been developed by making sure I evaluate and document ever brief I finished. A beneficial skill I have acquired would be researching throughout the module to achieve the best resources and inspiration that relevant to the brief to design work at a high standard.


2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

Approaches to branding have developed I have experimented with a wide range of mock-ups to achieve a high-end finish. I have considered the variables and mandatory requirements of clients so I could develop my design further and to the best of my ability. With the Asos brief I spent a lot of time experimenting with designing an App this is the first time I have proposed/designed a full App before I used the method of designing my work to a art board the appropriate size for a IPhone and this helped inform my designs and final products as it was easier to mock them up to proposed IPhone screens. This was perfect for the brief as I had the app mocked up to an IPhone.


3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

Strengths of mine throughout this module would definitely be able to come up with concepts quickly and if they weren’t working to go back to the brief and re-develop my ideas quickly and effective. Another strength would be working well in a collaborative practice I felt I gave a lot to the brief and I am really pleased with my outcome. Another strength of mine would be effectively documenting my work to a in depth standard and also so I can refer back to it.


4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?


Not reading the brief properly and In depth with my Asos left me later having to change my logo and some of the work it wasn’t a big problem but would of saved me time.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

· Making sure all my briefs have a bigger differentiation so I can gain more experience

· Make sure I re-check the briefs for reference – so no problems occur.

· Consider other points of research & reference – For a better concept and resolution

· Choosing briefs outside my comfort zone so I will have variation in my work.

· Manage my time better so I can achieve a higher quality of work in a shorter time.






No comments:

Post a Comment