Friday 13 December 2013

Problems and Solutions - Print Brief

PROBLEMS & SOLUTIONS

Throughout my designing and production of my design for print brief i faced a few challenging set backs i know that will be able to consider these problems in future briefs.

COLUMNS FOR BOOKLETS

one of the main problems i faced throughout this brief was how i was to lay out my information in my print booklet there was sections of my print book where i would have text in columns but then on other pages i was explaining step by steps and i had to change the style of the text to paragraph style list so that i was easier to follow.

I was really worried this was going to effect my booklet as its not very consistent but after speaking to Phil he ensured me as long as the same types of pages have the same layout and text format style thats fine because its consistent in that sense. But also its my choice as its my work its my own design decision after looking back through my work i think it makes the booklet have a bit more variation and as its black and white with a few info graphics it might of looked quite blank.

Although in the end i was happy and felt better once it i kept the consistency throughout the pages i will definitely try more variations and more grids next time before executing work and then trying to change it after.


BELLY BANDS

For the belly bands production of my print pack. I purchased some fluorescent stock from a store that i wanted to use to create my belly bands the stock was thick card and i had a sheet a little larger than A2.
I had my document ready to cut out 5 belly bands i wasn't able to use the floating block as my stock was to large so problem one was i needed to cut down the belly bands to the size of the strips i did this using the guillotine it took more time but was easier than doing 5 laser cut jobs and i wouldn't of been able to cut them without getting a brown line.

Once i had created the strips i had to life the bar out of the laser cutter so i didn't get a brown mark unfortunately because the stock has bright colouring and because of the texture i still got a brown smudge mark apart from using the laser cutter i would of been difficult to achieve a perfect circle so i had to make that design decision and put up with the slight brown mark. Next time i will consider my stock and make sure i have cut work down already before using the laser cutter.
PRINT PACK

The biggest problem i had was my print pack (which i have mentioned in my packaging post.)
The packaging didn't go to plan as the perforated line i created was to thin and the stock was to thick to pull. I digitally printed my net 4 times and laser cut this perforated line throughout them so i could use a few as a prototype and one for the final hand in. I printed two boxes a similar size to my booklets and two boxes a little larger.

After my packaging didn't work i then had to digitally print the net out again to create a more efficient perforated line to achieve the finished product i wanted. I shouldn't of used up all of my nets to try the same perforated line onto so re-printing took time. I spoke to Phil as i was worried he assured me i could hand it in and write on my blog how it would work, as long as i could justify what i would change and what went wrong.

I really didn't want to leave it so i went back to the laser cutter and re-cutt a large stronger perforated line it was a simple process to digitally print and to laser cut but it wasted time that i had planned to do other work. I wanted to make sure the perorated line worked as its a big part of my packaging else you won't be able to open it. Im glad i re-done it but the time i wasted wasn't very efficient so if i was in similar situation next time i would make more prototypes and consider stock and paper weight.


No comments:

Post a Comment