Saturday 21 December 2013

Design for Print - Evaluation

DESIGN FOR PRINT EVALUATION

For design for print i decided i would create a five small booklets and a small perforated box for everything to go inside. At first i struggled with my concept and i wasn't sure what i was going to do but after a lot of research and brainstorming i finally come up with my concept. I think i did the most work getting content for this brief than the rest as i needed so much information for my booklets. I tried lots of processes so i could get a full understanding of them and a lot of research.

My five booklets contained information on the letter of the booklet i used the word print as  acronym eg. P for preparation , planning ect. I really liked my concept and felt i could get a lot of information i there using the five books. I used off white stock watercolour to create my box an for the covers of my books. I also used off white stock for the middle of my book on the pages but the stock was slightly thinner. I use bright orange stock to create belly bands for the booklets. 

I tried foiling for experimentation for design for print and i was going to use black foil to create the title on my page and the numbers on my booklets but after speaking to people in the class who had tried the foil on the stock i was going to try and use that it wouldn't work very well and it would infact peel off. I think its invaluable been able to work in the studio among like minded people who always help each other out and give one and other design advice. I could of wasted a lot of time and runnier my work trying to foil. In the end because i decided to not use foil i went with vinyl which i love its sooo each to use and now i know a masking tape trick to make sure everything aligned I'm really pleased i used that.

I think my strengths through out this project would be keeping persistent with my packaging i had a ruff start attempting to create a perforated line using the laser cutter and it wasn't going to plan i was advised to hand it in then just let the tutors know how it 'would work' but i really didn't want to hand it in when i could of tried another way in resolving the problem. I decided to go to digital print re-print the work and then laser cut it again it was really tedious i was more annoyed about the time i had wasted when i could of being using it for something else never the less I'm glad i got it sorted and my packaging looked how i wanted it to in the end.

A weakness of mine throughout this project would be being to impatient our house went to a stock place and i bought some fluorescent orange card to use for my booklets as i wanted to make belly bands i began deciding i would use off white stock to go with it and i kind of built the aesthetics around the stock i had bought when i should of tried lots of different colour choices before settling for that particular one. That decision left me worrying about my work the whole way through the brief until i had actually put it together and realised that it did work well and looked how i wanted but by me being negative i was worried how it would turn it out. Ive learnt i need to try more colours and stock choices also more prototypes to give me more a variety and a choice when it comes to my finishing pieces.

Overall i loved this brief and i think my concept was strong and i put the effort in. Aesthetics wise i probably could of tried more things and i possibly would of got a higher standard finish but I've learnt a lot throughout this brief that i will apply to all my new modules and briefs.I also found it particularly beneficial trying all the processes that i tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment