Tuesday 3 December 2013

Final Print Crit

FINAL CRIT

For the final print crit we were split into 2 groups , group A went away while group B set up there work and we looked at it. Then vice versa.

I laid all of my work out which consisted off a printed mock up of my first publication design booklet for the letter P for preparation , examples of embossing , foiling and laser cut to show my experimentation. I also left out a mock up of my paper size and my belly band.

Questions i asked: 
  • Do i have enough content?
  • Does my stock and colour work?
  • Do the columns work on the pages?


Feedback i received:

1
  • You have plenty of content but the way its laid out makes it look quite empty? For example i think the 'P For preparation' seem a little small and the columns float in the middle of the page if you maybe made the columns left/right aligned then added some decor to fill the space.
  • Love fluorescent stock - bright white stock goes with this best. If you are going to use foiling. Try the bronze/cooper/black ones as opposed to gold. Black foil on cover will look lush.
  • Form the initial book i think that there is enough content to work with . Possibly include a contents page so your audience can navigate to certain sections.The info graphics are really clean and easy to identify.
  • The off white against the fluorescent belly band works really well. I would suggest for your other books to possibly use some other colours. The black foiled numbers on the from is a excellent way of telling your audience what order to read your books.Look at Patrick Frys - No Zine. for inspiration.
Additional comments from all the people who crit my work :

  • Not sure about the body copy font. Good title font but maybe use on without slanted 'A's' for body copy
  • Maybe for front cover design make title letter more prominent 
  • Maybe you could centre cover design to make better use of space.
  • Such a clever concept make sure to keep it minimal and consistent throughout the word print.
  • Maybe try a different font for the body copy. The angle on some of the letters breaks the flow when reading.For Example the W. The tracking kerning needs adjusting un-even spaces between words.
  • Keep it simple , it works.
  • Would understand how the layout would work when the images ect are in the right place.
  • Consider body copy font for legibility
  • P is for Prep - Experiment with cover 
  • A lot of experiments with different print process shows a lot of research.

After my crit the main thing i took from my comments was to change my typeface as some of the lettering was slanted. Also after speaking to lorraine who also agreed its legible but not that readable.So i decided to change my typeface after everyone agreeing on the same point it seemed important to change that aspect.

My original typeface:



New typeface:


No comments:

Post a Comment