Monday 11 November 2013

Experimentation - Embossing

EMBOSSING

I created an embossing plate on the laser cut using a wooden slab. I wanted to create an embossing plate to test how well it worked with ink and what effect i would get.

Firstly i had to get my equipment together to apply the ink to the wood i used this roller it was the perfect size for covering my wood in a small amount of time.

I used oil based black ink to print with
I first used a palet to spread the ink on to the table before using the roller to pick up the ink this gets rid of any air and makes it smoother.
I completely covered the block of wood.
I placed it on top of some news print on top of a large frame that i would slide into the machine.
I then put my stock on top of it. I used paper for this experiment 
To use the machine :

  • I first twisted the silver knob until it couldn't be twisted any more
  • I next pumped the handle until it couldn't be pushed any more 
  • I next pressed the black button in on the right hand side
  • Next you have to keep pushing the handle up and down till the dial in the circle reaches mid day.

My first go worked really well there was a small black effect next to the letters which was obviously off the wood which i should of brushed off after using the laser cutter.
I decided to repeat the experiment but using card.
I also left it in the machine and kept pushing the handle down until the dial in the circle went past mid day just to see if doing it for longer would give it a better effect.
It looks a lot better on card because the stock is thicker and more sturdy.
I repeated the process for the final time and left it in for even longer , the longer its pressed for the stronger the effect.
It seemed a lot neater and the small black parts around the letters from the first experiment had gone.
I really like the effect from embossing i think it works well with a wooden block.

No comments:

Post a Comment