Monday 4 November 2013

Design For Print - Defining concept

DESIGN FOR PRINT

I created a few mind maps to secure my concept so i can progress with my research:

I Began by creating a general mind map of the things i need to consider like audience , tone of voice , what style of production i will use wether it will be a publication or pack? 
I made a similar  brain storm trying to add things off i may of forgotten i realised i had missed off which stock and size i will use so i made sure i defined my choices. I also know that i want to use lino cut but what ever process i chose will have an effect on the final piece so i need to choose on the size of stock i use carefully. If i am to lino cut  i will have to use a larger stock else it won't work really small.
The last mind map i did was for names and concepts trying to come up with something for the name has proven really difficult. i only come up with a few ideas and i don't feel like any of them are suited at the moment so i will carry on brain storming.
 I have carried on creating a further mind map which has more in depth choices behind some of the subjects like what processes i will include.

I made lists of the different sections i needed to consider:

CONCEPT - 

Print book for dummies - mocking up the original book
Simple straight forward pack with tips and tricks for certain processes
Enjoyable , Playful humour
Not to much text possible info graphics?

Maybe focus on DIY processes. 

Not everybody has access to certain facilities or the time so diy processes are helpful for new students wanting to improve there outcomes.

PROCESSES -
Laser cut 
Foiling - with a screen , with a heat press
Lino cut- with laser cut and by hand

Other - Setting things up to print & colour theory

AUDIENCE -
Students
People who have never done print processes 
New graphic designers  - people who didn't come from graphic design a-levels
But also more mature students who haven't tried print processes before.

TYPEFACE  - 
I am researching into the 'hand job' book to help inspire me for a hand rendered typeface or i might just use something simple.

THINGS TO CONSIDER -  
Fluorescent ink colour?
Tone of voice?
Colours
Size and stock

STYLE OF DISTRIBUTION - 
Pack of 5 small booklets
Flash cards?


We have a Interim peer review session crit so i created a small mood board to share with my group to explain my concept - 

After my peer review and crit i have finalised my concept and can began my research


What will i product?

  • 5 small information packs 
  • A pack for each letter of the word print
Who will be the audience?

  • First year students & Mature students
  • Students that haven't tried processes before
What size , stock & colours will i use ?
  •  Possible custom size?
  • Do i have all the packs different sizes?
  • High end stock
  • I will use Pantones to choose the best option
Tone of voice?
  • Humorous yet informative
  • Persuasive tone of voice
Consider?
  • Typefaces
  • Colours
  • Stock
  • Content.

No comments:

Post a Comment