Friday 16 May 2014

Problems & Solutions

PROBLEMS & SOLUTIONS

Photography

For studio brief i needed to photograph my information and way finding which i had produced using mdf and vinyl. I decided to firstly set up in the photography studio it took me over 20 minutes to stick 'The Pattern Festival' text on the wall along with the smaller hexagon shapes. As i began taking images i managed to adjust the lights myself to create a more soft shadow cast. I messed around with the lights and taking images for over an hour. When in the end i gave up took everything off the wall and decided to go try my work in the classroom studio as i wanted natural light and that was the best way i was going to achieve it through light from the window. When i took down the letters from the wall (in the photography studio) i snapped the letter i i was so upset and frustrated and decided to simply turn it over and spray pain the black of it black but then had to wait to till i could carry on photography in the studio. After another two hours time i had almost photographed everything the lighting was better but as it started to get later some of my images became darker. After wasting almost a full day i thought i wasn't going to achieve any good images. The next day as my vinyl was still on the wall i put back up my mdf and re photographed my work i am so pleased i took the time out to do that because i achieved better images than originally. Although it was a very stressful part of the brief its help me to understand how important the lighting is and how i need to practice more to achieve higher quality images.



Laser cutter

When i decided i wanted to create 3d typography for my pattern festival exhibition i decided to laser cut the text i went down to laser cut at 4pm and didn't leave till 9pm it took around 40 mins to cut through the mdf on the image below and when i lifted the mdf out it the laser hadn't even went through the wood. I had to change the settings to mdf 12mm instead of 6mm and still it wasnt cutting all the way through and i was left having to push the letters and shapes out i snapped a few letters in the process so had to re laser cut them. In total i got 6 artists initials and the title plus shapes done in around 5 hours it was very time cosuming but as the laser cutter wasnt cutting all the way through it was something i had to deal with. Although it took a lot of time i was very proud of the end result next time if i was in a similar situation i would just make sure i allocate my self more time as i now know how long it takes to cut through different weights of mdf.



No comments:

Post a Comment