Tuesday 15 October 2013

Experimentation - Foiling

FOILING

I decided to do some experimentation with foiling as i hadnt before and i feel asthough it would be beneficial to get some hands on experience to see how it all works.

I first picked some different quotes and logos then put them onto either white paper , grey paper or a sand coloured paper this was to try the different affects with different foils.

These are the things i decided to foil on to :

I picked a quote and a New York pizza sign which i printed through the studio printer because of the black toner.
I printed the quote and sign onto grey paper A4.


I printed two sets of the same symbols on white paper again from the same printer.
I printed my name in large on a lighter grey piece of paper.

I decided to print something on the lighter paper again so i would have two different variations.
We bought foil from the college shop in the printing department we bought half metres off each colour.
Gold - 
Black -
Holographic -
This was the heat press machine we used.
The temperature it had to be was 170 and you have to leave the heat press pressed down for 12 seconds.
The foil has to be shiny side up for it to work.

My first experiment was using the black foil on to black ink on my grey paper.
12 seconds wasnt long enough so i left it down for a minute.
I then retried the process because only very small pieces of foil were transferring onto the ink i was quite disappointed as i think the black foil would have looked really nice on this type.
You can tell where the small pieces of foil have come through on the text.

The next piece i tried the same problem occurred..

I left the heat press on for longer but the ink only transferred on to certain parts of the letters.
I dont think this use of paper was a very good choice as it didn't work with either of my pieces of type.

The next experiment i tried experimenting with holographic foil.
It didn't work very well at all and only a really small part of the holographic foil stuck to the ink. I also thought the paper wasn't a good option maybe it was to thick.didn't feel as though the reason it didn't work was because the heat press wasn't on for long enough because i left it longer than the required time and it was really hot.

The next experiment i tried was trying 3 different squares of foil over the 3 triangle shapes.Just to see which foil worked the best.
This experiment worked really well the foil stuck so well to the paper leaving it with a perfect foil print underneath.
I felt asthough the foil worked well because the outlines of the shape were so thin. I loved the black ink on the paper. I love monochrome and would definitely use black foil on a different stock rather than grey card as i achieved such a good print on just white paper.

I tried the same idea but with different cuts of foil for different sized shapes.
I loved this finish to the largest shape looked really good with the holographic foil on top. It was another really good experiment.
The last experiment i did was the solid gold foil over my name I left this foil on for a while i lifted up the press and peeled back the foil and some of the letters hadn't printed so i put the press back down for a further minute. 
I dont think it made any difference to my design as it had already finished transferring.
Next time i would leave it down for longer to ensure all letters are covered in foil.

I loved experimenting with foiling i think it was benefical for the brief we are doing at the moment and it gave me a better understanding of how to actually do it and what stock works best and which foil looks best.

I would say for my experimentation that the white paper with black ink on worked the best for the foil to transfer on to. I will definitely foil again and i think i would like to foil using a screen to get an even better result.



No comments:

Post a Comment