Thursday 21 February 2013

InDesign Double Spread 'Lion'

InDesign Double Spread 'Lion'
Quick sketches for ideas for layouts-


The font i've used for my title for my double page spread is 'HIGHER THAN HIGH' i found this font on the font .com and i think the font represents to me the lion king and tribal.
I made my double page spread and started to pay about with the text to see which position looked best.


Centre aligned
Left aligned

 I tried the text on the right hand side page left aligned then again spaced out.
I decided to create some paw vectors to type my title into.


Mockups-


I first followed a grid where i had the text in one large column in between to images on one page and under the title on the other. I wanted the text to be large and take a lot of the space up on the right hand page. I was quite pleased with this mock up design but it looked a little out of proportion..




I inverted the colours and tried all the text on a black background so see what it looked like i decided although i wanted to work with monochrome colours the impact was to high and its a soft warming story so i felt that the black was to much.
I decied to add a third picture in that i had and make them all the same size and down the centre of the left hand page.i felt this created impact. I think it works well with the negative space and the black and white images.
 Where the title was placed on the right hand side it was a little blank so i thought i would add in a another image this made the page looked more balanced. 

I had to make sure all the images were the same size and to follow a grid , i wanted it to keep central and in proportion  to the title and the other information on the opposite page.
Making sure the  title was in line with the image was important to the page didn't look strange and followed a grid. I used rulers to measure the gaps between the words after using the leading tool on indesign just to check..
I wanted to use the same type i used for the title to use for the quote id taken out of the text which was 'It was a euphoric moment' I put the quote in the negative space under where the text had finished.
I finally made sure everything was in line and inside the margins so there was enough finger space at the bottom and everything was clear enough to read i wanted to go for a really nice clean cut design and i think i have achieved it.
After my final finished piece i asked a few of my peers there opinion they told me my quote would look better with the quotation marks , the only problem was my typeface i had chosen 'higher than high' didn't have glphys so i had to find a similar typeface to use for the open and close brackets. I also received feedback to make the crown on the work 'king' smaller because it looks slightly like a 'R' and not a 'K' I'm really pleased i asked my friends to give me feedback or i wouldn't of knew what to change and improve on and my double page spread ended up looking better.




No comments:

Post a Comment