Tuesday 13 November 2012

Message&Delivery Mail Shot 0UGD403

MESSAGE&DELIVERY - Mail shot




Produce a mail shot that distributes, disseminates and reinforces your message to an appropriate list of recipients.Your resoulution should fit within envelope provided and be accompanied by a visually appropriate mailing list.

Mandatory Requirements - Your design should be for 2 colour(+stock) 
Deliverables - 5 editions of your resolution ( 1 to be sent via post as directed) 1x graphically/visually appropriate mailing list.  

For my mail shot I'm going to recreate my image and type poster for my mail shot. featuring pop up stick man to represent my statistic.




I created numerous sketches to support and help me develop my initial idea. I knew i wanted to have a keyboard for my envelope to represent cyber bullying.
I first began by creating a envelope on illustrator the dimensions i used were 22width 11height i created the flaps to close the envelope , i wanted the main flap that covers the envelope the same size as the main envelope front. The back will feature the envelope.

 I found a qwerty keyboard on google images and made my own replica of it , I used illustrator to mock up the same squares and began filling it in with letters , numbers and gylphs.



I used the same font as i used for my poster , its a typewriter style font called Typenoksidi.I found it on a font website. i filled out my keyboard with the font. I wanted the word cyber to be coloured in red , were they were originally positioned on the board, but when i tested it you could really make out what the word was. so i decided to go for two words and have them on two different lines with the other letters from the alphabet surrounding them. I tried not to repeat any letters with the exception of the the 'L' in the word bullying.


Once i had filled the keyboard style grid with my letters and keyboard shortcuts i made placed it on top of my envelope which i had previously made black to work along side my original posters. I put the words cyber  bullying in red for affect and so they were legible along side the white letters.


When getting to the part of adding in the glyphs i didn't realise previously but the type i had chosen to do my original posters and my mail slot didn't actually have glyphs as part of its set. I went onto another font website and found a similar font and used them from that. I think they look as part of a set with the rest of the keyboard.

The inside of my envelope:-

When beginning the inside of my poster i wanted to do a simple but affective flyer using most of the information used on my original message and delivery posters. I created a simple poster with a statistic on and i wanted to have this poster with similar dimensions as my envelope having it folding slightly in the middle and creating a pop up stick man.
I loved this idea but trying to execute it in a short space of time was proven harder than i thought , the way i wanted to do it was harder than i expected. After looking at two books from the library and having a play around i tried a different approach for my flyer.


I definitely wanted to incorporate the stick men into my flyer as they were the main idea behind my message and delivery posters. I created five red stickmen and five white stickmen (one for each recipient) i put these on two a3 documents. They would be printed double sided and put inside of the envelope. 

I typed ' PICK ON SOMEONE YOUR OWN SIZE' & '1 IN 3 YOUNG PEOPLE HAVE RECEIVED CYBER THREATS ONLINE' on either side. I wanted to do this idea because even though topic is really serious its a playful way of getting the message across with little stickmen. I also believe it gets the message across simply and efficiently.

The stock i used was antique paper. It was as white as i would of liked but i wanted the paper to be thicker than usually white stock. The printer i used wasn't printing out the red i wanted and it was coming out quite pixilated.
Where as the type i wanted in red was working so i decided to have just the outline in red i still think it worked really well. It was also a plus trying to print the men out double sided i just made sure one side of the paper was completely filled out and the text was positioned in the right place so i could easily cut out the men without the worry the other side wasn't in line. 


I next cut out the men using scissors as i felt a craft knife would be more difficult to cut around the heads of the men. I cut each man out and put them into each envelope. For the envelopes them selfs i cut the excess from the a3 page and scored down the white lines to fold the edges over - another alteration i made before printing the envelope was using the template for the right had tab and filling it with the text from the keyboard so when it was folded at the end it would over lap and match the keyboard. 




For the mailing list i wanted to send it to youth clubs and schools in leeds as my age group was for teenagers and young adults. I searched the internet for local schools colleges and teenage youth clubs. I used the same text for my mailing list as i did for my full message & delivery brief.















No comments:

Post a Comment