Thursday 25 October 2012

typeface for the word BOOM OUGD403

Alphabet Soup - Creating the type face


For our brief alphabet soup , we had to choose one of our letters from the 10 we created and make a typeface. I chose the letter V i had created from my set. My word was boom my idea behind this was to create the letters to look as though they were all broken and it was what was left after an explosion. I began recreating the letters...
I began by using the letter V and using the pencil tool to create wave lengths across it. I then changed the stroke to create thickness it looked slightly similar to the letter i have scanned in but not as distorted and broken up as i wanted. 

 I Began using the pen tool to create similar like shapes from the letter V. I created a square and placed these shapes in. This is for when i come to create the other letters in the alphabet i can place a blank letter on top. 
I started duplicating some shapes i had created to fill in the square as much as possible and changed the colour of the shapes to black fill.


I created the letter A in a text box i selected it and right clicked and created outlines this makes it a shape! I then placed it on top of the black shapes i created with the pen tool.




OBJECT > CLIPPING MASK > MAKE 

Making sure the blank letter and the shapes in the back ground are all selected!


I repeated the process with each letter in the alphabet so i achieved this broken up letter. I did a version without a stroke..

I edited the type and put a stroke of 1pt on i found this works a lot better than the above, and looks a lot bolder. 



I enjoyed creating this type.Before last weeks illustrator workshop i wasn't very confident using the pen tool but after practising i managed to successfully make some shapes that looked like the pattern i had previously hand drawn for my letter. Although this type isn't exactly like my letter it has the same affect and i am pleased how it turned out. I tried placing the letters over different sections of the square i had made so each letter wasn't the same. If i was to do this again i would make sure i had left a little bit more negative space so the letters weren't as black.


Further Development & Final Typeface.

I liked the typeface i had done but felt that it wasn't enough for the final outcome. I think the reason was because it didn't take very long to do as once i had created the individual shapes it was just a case of making clipping masks  using the letters.Although my original letter i am using to re-create a typeface from is simple i still felt the typeface i had created was really plain.

I decided to change the typeface:-
  

I found this typeface on a font website , its called ' Boom Tank' I wanted the outsides of my letters to be ruff and not straight. I next thought i would try and add more shapes to the original square of shapes i had made to make the clipping masks from. Just to make it a bit more complex.

I began by taking the strokes off the shapes so they were just black shapes instead. I then duplicated some of the shapes.
I tested a letter on the shapes and felt it appropriate to keep some shapes with fill on.

I began putting them on to a document repeating the same process.

When finishing my typeface i added in a few glyphs so that there would be 4 characters on each line. I changed the type to blue.
Although i thought the type looked really good in blue i felt it was in appropriate for the word 'boom' and i felt yellow would work better to incorporate explosion . After testing the yellow it didn't work very well and the white strokes on the shapes inside the letters stood out a lot more in black.

My finished type face-



No comments:

Post a Comment